- There is a certain interpretation of the second amendment, commonly quoted and possibly correct as to the amendment’s original intention, that says its purpose is to make sure the citizens of the nation are protected in case they need to defend themselves from a tyrannical government
- One way to refer to this is that in the event the government becomes tyrannical the citizens have the ability to engage in an armed rebellion.
- But an armed rebellion is always by definition illegal – it is an act of defiance against the current governing authority
- Thus, this interpretation of the second amendment would require the government to be sanctioning illegal action against itself
- This is self-contradictory, as if it’s illegal it cannot be sanctioned
- Therefore the second amendment under this definition makes no sense
I am in favor of an armed populace.