Overall grade: No letter or number grades from me, they end up looking way too weird (I have the urge to give “Justified’s” seasons 1 and 5 a B when in fact I found 5 better…but not good enough for a B+. Stuff like that)
So, a thumbs up. I’ll try this:
As good as:
- Roughly, “Better Call Saul”, though I probably would give the second show the edge at gunpoint, thanks to superior dialogue mostly.
- House (fairly close, though)
- Castle (blowout)
- Bones (blowout)
- [What I’ve seen of] Supernatural
…Annnnnnnd everything else I watch is sports or sitcoms (or occasionally certain very, very good cartoons), so bad comparisons.
I’ll also do this:
- “Cut Man”, Episode 2
- “Condemned”, Episode 6
- “Speak of the Devil”, Episode 9
Very Good Episodes:
- “Into the Ring”, Episode 1
- “Daredevil”, episode 13
- “The Path of the Righteous”, Episode 11 (This very nearly went onto the great list, by the way – awesome twist ending)
The rest weren’t particularly memorable to me, and ranged from “Okay” to “Good”.
A word on the finale [spoilers, obviously]: Apparently, it got mixed reviews. Well, screw that, okay? The finale was awesome. YEAH, all right, Fisk’s whole operation probably wouldn’t have gone down THAT quickly just because a single guy ratted on them, but hey, they wanted things to move at a brisk pace, so I’m okay with that. The Daredevil/Kingpin fight was awesome, and a fitting climax for a show that excelled in fight scenes.
- The fight scenes really were outstanding – like, out of this world, crazy good. I’m still floored by, not only how good they were, but how consistently good they were. The single take hallway fight scene in episode 2 is quite possibly my favorite fight scene in anything, ever. It was that good. The Nobu fight was pretty great as well.
- The acting generally was excellent (I could never fully buy into the performance of the actress playing Karen, though), but Vincent D’Onofrio as Kingpin and Charlie Cox as Daredevil were both outstanding. Interesting how so many of my favorite shows have that terrific one-two punch like that…
- I’ve been saying it all along, but I really, really do like Foggy. I didn’t think I would, but the character is fun and the actor portraying him puts on a good performance. Color me pleasantly surprised that he’s more entertaining than annoying.
- If I could fix one thing, it would be to add more action. This is one of very few series where I actually want LESS scene-setting and background detail and more action and fighting. It actually feels weird even writing that out because it’s so counter-intuitive to how I think about writing and superhero media in general (“Age of Ultron” in particular could have benefited from the opposite advice), but there you go. The pacing got a bit slow in the middle and the show is so good at fight scenes more would have been welcome.
How AWESOME does this Jessica Jones trailer look?
Seriously! It looks absolutely terrifying. They made a mistake not releasing this by Halloween. I haven’t been this excited about a trailer since the trailer for season six of “Justified”.
…Which wasn’t that long ago, actually.
Whatever. The show looks awesome.